Craven’s common reading program is a way of creating a shared intellectual experience for our first-year students that stimulates discussion and critical thinking, while also encouraging a sense of community among students, faculty and staff.
Objectives of Common Reading Program
- Encourage students to read beyond textbooks.
- Raise awareness and tolerance of inter-generational and cultural likenesses and differences.
- Promote academic discourse and critical thinking.
- Provide an introduction to the expectations of higher education.
- Create a sense of community among students, faculty and staff.
- Integrate an academic and social experience into the campus community.